An increasing number of people are opting to modify their existing properties, through extensions and conversions, as opposed to moving home. Due to this, the number of people performing loft conversions, the process of creating habitable living space within a loft, continues to increase. This trend is in part attributable to the increasing costs of upgrading properties and as a result conversions are becoming far more financially viable than they previously were.
Loft conversions have the additional benefit that they not only increase the amount of habitable space within a property, they also increase the value of the property. On average a loft conversion increases the value of a property by ten percent.
Due to regulations which were passed during October 2012 it is easier than ever to perform a loft conversion. These regulations mean that the overwhelming majority of loft conversion projects do not require planning permission. The government has approximated that this measure alone saves home owners up to £1000 from the cost of a loft conversion.
Speaking of cost, what is a loft conversion project likely to cost? In London, loft conversions cost on average £40,000, however the price is much cheaper in the rest of the country. On average, the loft conversions we provide cost between £20,000 and £30,000, depending on the type of loft conversion, the project requirements and the size of the property.
Loft Conversions – What Are The Costs?
Provided beneath is an outline of the costs which home owners can expect to pay on loft conversions:
- A small loft conversion project: which will include stairs, joists and two roof lights costs between £15,000 and £17,000. This cost should also include insulation, plaster boarding and a second electrical fix.
- A medium sized loft conversion project: A conversion of this size which will include all the details listed above should cost between £18,000 and £24,000.
- A large loft conversion project: A loft conversion project of this size which includes the details listed in a small loft conversion project should cost between £25,000 and £40,000.
- A storage loft conversion project: will include lighting, flooring and a loft ladder should cost between £900 and £1200.
Other associated costs with loft conversion projects:
- A Dormer Loft Conversion: the cost of building and glazing a loft of this type depends largely on the size of the conversion. The following is a breakdown of dormer loft conversions depending on loft size, small loft £4,000 – £6,000, medium loft £6,000 – £8.000 and large £8,000 – £10,000.
- Loft stairs: The manufacture and fitting of a set of loft stairs should cost between £500 and £800 for straight stairs. Spiral stairs are slightly more expensive, costing between £1000 and £2000.
- Professional loft plans: The cost of hiring a professional architect to draw up loft plans in compliance with a building regulations application, should cost between £400 and £1500. The cost of these plans is largely reliant on the complexity of the proposed loft design.
- Roof lights: the cost to supply and fit roof lights should be between £500 and £750.
If you’re looking to increase the habitable living space available to you and are considering a loft conversion, get in touch with us today for more information on how we can help you. You can contact us by calling 0161 962 1623.